A red tram passes along the busy BBD Bagh (Dalhousie square) area, with the red Writers Buildings and St. Andrew's Church in the background. Also known as 'Mahakaran' in local Bengali language, Writers Buildings originally served as the office for writers of the British East India Company in Calcutta, and is now the secretariat of the State Government of West Bengal in India. Designed by Thomas Lyon in 1780, it received its impressive Corinthian façade, in the Neo-Renaissance style, in 1889.
- © Copyright Sanjay Marathe
- Image Size
- 500x333 / 79.8KB
Andrew church, BBD Bag, BBD Bagh, Calcutta writers building, Dalhousie square, Indian architecture, Indian church, Kolkata Calcutta architecture, Kolkata Calcutta church, Kolkata Calcutta city, Kolkata Writers building, Kolkata church, Kolkata city life, Office of WRITERS', St. Andrews church Calcutta, St. Andrews church Kolkata, Writers building, ancient architecture, architectural, architecture, bengal, british India history, british architecture in india, building, calcutta, calcutta cityscapes, cityscapes, horizontal, horizontal image, horizontal images, horizontal photo, horizontal photos, house for junior officers of the East India Company, india, india architecture, kolkata, kolkata city, kolkata cityscapes, maroon, office of writers, public transport, red, red writers building in kolkata india designed by Thomas Lyon in 1780, reds, the Writer's, west bengal
- Contained in galleries
- Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, India - Architecture, People, Culture, Food, Transport, Tourism*